Tropical Storm Erika Update
Jackson Health System is open for business and operating as usual.
When a patient is referred to The University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Burn Center all clinical care is provided for patients. Initial resuscitation and wound evaluation determines if patients are admitted to the intensive care unit, the non-critical burn care area, or have treatment as an out-patient. The surgical faculty provides surgical and non-surgical wound care in the intensive care unit, the operating room, and in the specialized general floor area. Specially trained nurses provide daily care. Experienced occupational and physical therapists in the specialized rehabilitation area provide burn rehabilitation for in-patients and outpatients. This insures continuity of care by a constant team while in the hospital and until the wounds are mature.
The UM/JMH Burn Center is one of three burn centers in Florida verified by The American Burn Association. The American Burn Association through the American College of Surgeons identified the following criteria as requiring referral to a burn center after initial assessment and treatment at an emergency department:
- Second-degree burns greater than or equal to 10 percent of the total body surface area
- Burns that involve the face, hands, feet, genitalia, groin or major joints
- Third-degree burns in any age group
- Electrical burns
- Lightning injury
- Chemical burns
- Inhalation injury
- Pre-existing medical disorders that could complicate management, prolong recovery or affect mobility
- Burns and concomitant trauma (other injuries such as broken bones, fractures, brain injuries, inhalation injuries or abdominal trauma) in which injury poses the greatest risk of morbidity or mortality
- Children needing qualified personnel and equipment
- Patients who require special social, emotional or long-term rehabilitation intervention
To transfer a patient to the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Burn Center, please call the Patient Transfer Center 305-585-5354.
UM/JM Burn Center
In Affiliation With:
UM/JM Burn Center
Ryder Trauma Center
1800 N.W. 10th Avenue
Miami, FL 33136