Points of Pride
Jackson Health System has resumed normal operations at a majority of its facilities.
The UHealth Jackson Urgent Care at Cutler Bay is now open
The UHealth Jackson Urgent Care center at Keystone Point is now open
The UHealth Jackson Urgent Care center at Country Walk is now open
The Jefferson Reaves remain closed due to power outages.
To reschedule an appointment, please call 305-585-6000. Updated information for UHealth Jackson Urgent Care centers is available at JacksonUrgentCare.com.
Pioneering Advances in Burn Care
Since its inception in 1965, the Miami Burn Center has participated in many projects and has conducted research to improve the survival and recovery of burn patients.
- Heat loss in patients with large burn injuries is common; preventing hypothermia is especially challenging. The Miami Burn Center had the world’s first experience in using a system to control core body temperature and keep patients warm from the inside.
- Instead of utilizing very painful “scrubbing” to remove nonviable tissue and help prevent infection, the team researched and now uses a topical ointment in a slow, less intense debridement process.
- In order to intervene early and effectively against debilitating depression, a study helped define the psychological issues of patients and families.
- When a study conducted by the Burn Center showed that adding vitamin C to a patient’s fluid drip within the first 24 hours would decrease fluid requirements and act as an
antioxidant, the practice was implemented.
- Infection is a major threat to burn victims, so studies regularly focus on ways to reduce infection rates as well as lessen their effects.
- The Burn Center is one of the first centers in the United States to try a novel stem cell therapy for burn patients. In this clinical trial, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Defense, the Burn Center will compare standard treatment with stem cell based therapy. This cutting-edge research may provide the first alternative to skin graft surgery, allowing improved healing with minimal to no scarring.
Miami Burn Center
Miami Burn Center
Ryder Trauma Center
1800 N.W. 10th Avenue
Miami, FL 33136