Jackson Health System has resumed normal operations at a majority of its facilities.
The UHealth Jackson Urgent Care at Cutler Bay is now open
The UHealth Jackson Urgent Care center at Keystone Point is now open
The UHealth Jackson Urgent Care center at Country Walk is now open
The Jefferson Reaves remain closed due to power outages.
To reschedule an appointment, please call 305-585-6000. Updated information for UHealth Jackson Urgent Care centers is available at JacksonUrgentCare.com.
Ultrasounds, also referred to as sonography, uses sound waves to develop images of what's going on in the inside the body. Ultrasound imaging has many uses in medicine, from confirming and dating a pregnancy to diagnosing certain conditions and guiding doctors through precise medical procedures.
Our ultrasound technologists maintain their professional ultrasound certification through the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers.
Our body/vasular ultrasound department is accredited by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission. Our OB/GYN ultrasound section has been accredited by the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM) and was the first OB/GYN ultrasound lab accredited in South Florida. Our board-certified physicians are all highly skilled, providing excellent care in fetal medicine and routine ultrasound services.
We provide a wide range of ultrasound imaging including:
- Obstetrical, gynecological and fetal cardiac ultrasounds
- High risk procedures such as amniocentesis, CVS, sonohysterograms, nuchal translucency screening and other multiple guided procedures
- Abdominal Ultrasound
- Thyroid Ultrasound
- Testicular Ultrasound
- Transplant and pre-transplant evaluations
- Arterial and Venous studies to evaluate circulation
- Carotid Doppler
- Specialized pediatric services
Before Your Ultrasound
- For abdominal ultrasound exams, do not eat or drink anything 8 hours before your exam. You may take your medications with water. For carotid, thyroid, testicular, arterial and venous exams you may eat and drink, as normal.
- There is no special preparations for routine OB or GYN Ultrasounds, you may be asked to drink 24-32 oz of water when you arrive depending on your exam.
- For Sonohyterograms, Amniocentesis, CVS Procedure, or nuchal translucency please call the OB/GYN Department at 305-585-6000 for detailed patient specific instructions.
During Your Ultrasound
- You will first need to sign in at the registration desk.
- The technologist will introduce themselves and review any additional information that is needed.
- You will be positioned on an examination table and a warm, clear gel will be applied to the area being examined. A transducer is then firmly pressed against the skin and swept back and forth to record the sound waves that are used to obtain the image. In some cases, this procedure may involve inserting a probe into an opening in the body, as in a transvaginal ultrasound.
- Please note that you will not be allowed to take pictures or videotape your procedure.
- The ultrasound exam usually takes from 30 minutes to one hour to complete.
After Your Ultrasound
- You may resume normal activity after you routine ultrasounds
- You will be given resting instructions after some special ultrasound procedures.
- The results of your ultasound will be made availible to the prescribing physician.
Schedule an Appointment
To schedule an appointment, please call 305-585-6000.
Radiology Services at JMH
Click the image to view the Radiology Brochure.