JMH Psychology Internship
Tropical Storm Erika Update
Jackson Health System is open for business and operating as usual.
The Jackson Memorial Hospital Psychology Internship program's mission is to facilitate the development of mature and competent psychologists capable of functioning independently in a multidisciplinary setting. The training staff believes this is best accomplished through a constant interplay of experiential and didactic experiences. Interns are encouraged to become analytical and critical consumers of current theory and practice in the field. Hence, one of our fundamental goals is the development of clinicians, not technicians, which is consistent with the program's practitioner/scholar model.
Within this context, the main philosophy and goals of the Psychology Internship Training Program in the Department of Psychology are:
- To provide psychology interns with the necessary supervised experience to become effective practicing psychologists. The program evaluates each intern according to their entry competency. Supervised clinical activities are sequential, cumulative and graded in complexity.
- To provide the intern with an understanding of the theoretical basis, both psychological and physiological, for effective assessment and therapeutic interventions. In addition, interns will become well versed in cultural and individual differences and their influences on assessment and interventions.
- To provide the specific techniques and skills, along with medical knowledge, necessary for effective assessment and treatment of patients with psychological and/or physiological and medical conditions from a behavioral, cognitive or psychoanalytic framework.
- To provide an opportunity to conduct research and /or an understanding of the importance of research as it relates to effective clinical intervention.
- To establish high ethical and professional standards of behavior for psychologists and interns.
- To gain an understanding and appreciate ethnic, religious socioeconomic and individual differences.
- To provide a single standard of care to patients based on need of service, regardless of other factors.
The training philosophy, mission and goals are consistent with the philosophy, mission and goals of both Jackson Health System and the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine.
To learn more about the JMH Psychology Internship Training Program, including information on clinical rotations, criteria for successful completion and more, download the program brochure below:
Psychology Internship Program 2017-2018 Brochure
Back to Top