- Do housework yourself instead of hiring someone else to do it.
- Work in the garden or mow the grass.
- Go out for a short walk before breakfast, after dinner or both. Start with 5-10 minutes and work up to 30 minutes.
- Walk down the hall to speak with someone rather than using the telephone.
- Participate in or start a recreation league at your company.
- Brainstorm project ideas with a coworker while taking a walk.
- Stand while talking on the telephone.
- Plan family outings and vacations that include physical activity.
- Dance with someone – or by yourself.
- Make a date with a friend to enjoy your favorite physical activities. Do them regularly.
- See the sights in new cities by walking, jogging or bicycling.
Source: American Heart Association
For more heart health articles during our Heart Month series, click here.
To read our Hearts of Jackson patient stories, click here.