The Geriatric Psychiatry Training Program at the Miller School of Medicine/University of Miami in affiliation with Jackson Memorial Hospital and the Miami VA Medical Center, is a full-time, ACGME-accredited, one year training program. Residents in training are assigned to clinical rotations with strong emphasis on the issues that relate to older adults in diverse clinical settings, including geriatric psychiatry inpatient, memory disorders, acute medical inpatient consultation-liaison as well as consultation in long term nursing and rehabilitation care. Interdisciplinary teamwork is emphasized, consisting of psychiatrists, neurologists, internists, neuropsychologists, nurses, and social workers with expertise in geriatrics. By means of individual supervision, small group seminars, didactic lectures, case conferences as well as scholarly and research participation related to clinical material and basic sciences, we provide a comprehensive training program for geriatric psychiatry. Additionally, we support membership in the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry.
Highlights of the Training Program:
- One of the top 25 NIH funded Psychiatry Programs in the US, in beautiful Miami, Florida.
- Active participation in the UM Center on Aging and the Subdivision of Geriatric Psychiatry.
- Rotation in Jackson Memorial Hospital Geriatric Medical/ Psychiatric Unit, a diverse population of acutely mentally ill geriatric patients.
- The University of Miami Memory Disorder Clinic – a unique outpatient experience with close collaboration with UM Neurology and Neuropsychology.
- Rotation at the Miami VA Medical Center Nursing Home and Long Term Care unit located conveniently at the Miami VA Medical Center, across the street from Jackson Memorial Hospital.
- Outpatient experience at Miami VA Medical Center Geriatric Primary Care Clinic, working closely with geriatricians and geriatric medicine fellows.
- Consultant work at Miami VA Medical Center Acute Inpatient and Hospice.
- NO CALL
- Moonlighting opportunities in Psychiatry
ACGME Accredited: Yes
Residents or Fellows per year: 3
Duration: 1 academic year
Postgraduate Training Required: Yes
U.S. Citizenship Required: No
Residents/Fellows who have graduated our program in the last 10 years obtained faculty positions at:
- University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
- Miami VA Medical Center
- Department of Psychiatry, BWH and Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital
- Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine/FIU
- Miami VA Medical Center
- Jackson Memorial Hospital
As per ACGME requirements, all applicants must have satisfactorily completed an ACGME-accredited psychiatry residency prior to entering the program.
In addition, the following documents are required:
- Application for graduate medical education at JMH (general application)
- Personal Statement
- Transcript of medical school scholastic record
- Documentation of graduation from medical school
- Copy of state licenses
- 3 letters of recommendation, one must be from training director of general psychiatry residency program
- USMLE exam scores, Steps 1, 2 and 3 must be completed.
- Valid ECFMG Certificate (Foreign or International Graduates)
- Visa Status
By January 31st
Clinical rotations include acute geriatric psychiatry inpatient unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital, UM Memory Disorder Clinic, Miami VA, community outpatient, tele-health home-bound care, primary care clinic, long-term care nursing as well as acute geriatric medical inpatient, rehabilitation and hospice.
Board Exam Requirements
Certified Diplomat of American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in General Psychiatry as well as completion of a 1 year ACGME accredited Geriatric Psychiatry Training Program
Educational & Other Experience
Individual supervision, small group seminars, Grand Rounds, didactic lectures, case conferences, Center on Aging symposia, as well as scholarly and research participation related to clinical material and basic neurosciences.
Active participation in the development and implementation of scholarly research at UM Center on Aging, Memory Disorder Clinic, and the Subdivision of Geriatric Psychiatry.
Fellows are not required to be on-call during the course of their fellowship.