Jackson Memorial Hospital is the primary teaching hospital for the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine. Since 1952, the Public Health Trust has had a basic affiliation agreement with the medical school, supplemented by an annual operating agreement, which sets forth the responsibilities of and the services to be provided by each party. Of the nearly 1,000 full-time faculty members of the medical school, more than 600 are doctors engaged in clinical practice who have been granted medical staff privileges and can admit patients to Jackson Memorial Hospital.
While Jackson Memorial and the University of Miami operate as independent institutions, many of the services and programs offered at the hospital and medical school have become closely integrated. This relationship has enabled Jackson Memorial Hospital to develop as a major tertiary care center, benefiting both the community and the region it serves.
Why is Jackson Memorial Hospital a regional resource for specialized care?
- Jackson’s Ryder Trauma Center is the only adult and pediatric Level 1 Trauma Center in Miami-Dade County. It is also one of the busiest trauma centers in the nation.
- The Miami Burn Center is a regional referral center providing.
- Jackson Memorial’s 126-bed Newborn Special Care Center is also a regional referral facility. It is home to a 66-bed, Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, which is the largest in Florida.
- Jackson’s Transplant Center is ranked among the 10th busiest in the nation and Jackson is the only Florida hospital to perform every kind of organ transplant.
- The Rehabilitation Center is a Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center and has been designated as a facility for acute and rehabilitative care of children and adults with spinal cord injuries by the Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services.
Jackson Memorial Hospital maintains academic affiliations with:
- Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
- Center for Treatment Research on Adolescent Drug Abuse
- Diabetes Research Institute
- Injury Free Coalition For Kids – Miami
- Jackson Memorial Foundation
- Miami Project to Cure Paralysis at Lois Pope Life Center
- Michael S. Gordon Center for Research in Medical Education
- National Parkinson Foundation
- South Florida Aids Network – SFAN
- Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center
- University of Lagos
- University of Miami ALS Clinical and Research Center
- University of Miami Miller School of Medicine