Around the world, Jackson Health System is known for saving lives. At our new, state-of-the-art rehabilitation center, we go even further: we give patients back their lives.
The Christine E. Lynn Rehabilitation Center for the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis at UHealth/Jackson Memorial was designed from scratch to be one of the country’s elite facilities for patients recovering from traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, cancer treatment, and other complex conditions. Caregivers have come to Miami from around the world to join the therapists, doctors, nurses, and other professionals providing inpatient and outpatient care, cutting-edge clinical research, and the unmatched development expertise of The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis.
To empower the world’s best rehab team, Jackson built the world’s best rehab facility. Its next-generation technology includes a Hydroworx aquatic therapy pool, Bioness integrated therapy systems, Eksobionics exoskeletons, and five ZeroG gait and balance systems. The family-centered design includes a full aquatic center, transition apartments, meditation space, an activity garden, and extensive public art installations. To prepare patients for maximizing their real-world mobility, the center includes airplane seats, driving simulators, and a full-size car in the building.
Every aspect of the facility and program are underlined by a focus on comprehensive care. Even the building’s layout is designed to ensure researchers, families, inpatients, and outpatients are sharing spaces – a constant reminder of the way Lynn Rehabilitation integrates academic study with the day-to-day treatment of patients. And its location in the heart of one of the world’s most international cities ensures that Lynn Rehabilitation will be a hemispheric hub for diverse teams of caregivers and patients.
Lynn Rehabilitation is part of Jackson Health System, one of the United States’ largest and most respected academic medical centers. Its six hospitals, three campuses, and 13,500 team members are united by the CARE Values: the compassion, accountability, respect, and expertise that drive every decision. With more than a century of public service in its community, Jackson remains a proudly public institution that promises a single, high standard of care for every resident of Miami-Dade County while meeting the entire world’s emerging needs in specialty medical treatment
- 80 inpatient beds in an 250,000 square-foot, nine-story tower on the Jackson Memorial Medical Center campus
- Budget of $185 million, funded more than half from the voter-approved Jackson Miracle-Building Bond and named for Christine Lynn’s $25 million donation
- Separate gyms for acute inpatient care, outpatient care, pediatric care, and individual specialty care
- Aquatic center, featuring a HydroWorx therapy pool with underwater treadmill
- The latest rehabilitation technology, including:
- Bioness Integrated Therapy System
- Ekso Bionics exoskeletons
- Five ZeroG Gait and Balance Systems
- Equipment and features to reintegrate patients to daily life, including:
- Full-size car
- Airplane seats
- Driving simulator
- Activities of daily living (ADL) space with kitchen for cooking and relearning other household activities
- Two transitional living apartments with separate bedroom and bathroom, full-size refrigerator, dishwasher, washer and dryer, and other common household appliances
- Hair salon
- Outdoor activity center with basketball court, barbecue, and interactive art sculpture
- Patient- and family-centered design, including:
- Inpatient suites with fully-integrated patient care technology, including on-demand health education and entertainment
- Multipurpose rooms with outdoor balconies for dining, education, and activities
- Outdoor rooftop terrace for short walks and relaxation
- Meditation space
- Collaboration space
- Integration of original art installations in collaboration with the Miami-Dade County Art in Public Places program, including:
- Interactive sculpture by artist Olaf Breuning with components to assist with fine and gross motor skills therapy – the centerpiece of the outdoor activity center
- Interior terrazzo floors by artist Jen Stark
While other UHealth-Jackson specialty programs focus on life saving, UHealth Jackson Rehabilitation Care focuses on giving people back their lives.
- Clinical care and research sharing space; patients see the scientists developing future treatment, and researchers interact constantly with real people who need the results of their work
- More than 250 Jackson nurses, therapists, and other healthcare professionals work with physicians from the University of Miami Health System to create successful outcomes
- More efficient than national standards, meaning patients’ average daily improvement in function is higher than the national average
- Shorter average length of stay – patients leave sooner
- Patients are far more likely than the national average to be discharged directly home rather than going to another medical setting
- Jackson Health System is one of the nation’s largest and most respected academic medical centers, with nearly 13,000 healthcare professionals working across three Miami-Dade campuses. It attracts patients from around the world while honoring its historic mission of providing a single standard of care to all Miami-Dade residents, regardless of their ability to pay.
- The University of Miami Health System is South Florida’s only university-based medical system and a vital component of leading the next generation of healthcare professionals. Its breakthrough research, novel education, and exceptional patient care are delivered by more than 1,200 physicians and scientists.
- The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis is the nation’s premier investigative research program conducting leading-edge discovery, translational, and clinical investigations targeting spinal cord and brain injuries. The Miami Project’s international team includes more than 200 scientists, researchers, clinicians, and support staff who take innovative approaches to the challenges of spinal cord and brain injuries.